with Cobra Company resin correction set and Aztec Decals decals
US Army, USA
The third Black Hawk thus far is another Academy model: the Sikorsky MH-60K. As with the UH-60L and MH-60G the plastic goes together fine. However, the parts to turn the basic Black Hawk into the special operations K-model are inaccurate. Fortunately Cobra Company made a correction set to produce an accurate MH-60K, which I used for this model. The superdetail set contains resin parts to replace the entire kit nose (which you need to chop off; the new nose fits exceptionally well) with a new FLIR turret and various other bits and pieces, cockpit detail parts (including a new instrument console, overhead console and seats), laser detectors on the doors (one of which I cut and posed open), new sensors on the tail, new sponsons, satcom and GPS antennae on the roof, main wheels, and new electronic equipment cabinets for the cabin as well as a few other odds and sods. That’s a lot of resin, and all of it is gorgeous! The kit took a while to put together, but there were no problems in doing so. I lost the kit’s decals, so replaced them using assorted decals from Aztec Decals for Latin American Black Hawks (as well as a few other random US H-60s). These decals were nice, but silvered over my coat of Johnson’s Klear; at this point I was still not using setting agents and they may have helped. Overall, a nice kit requiring a fair amount of work, but none of it hard. At least the rotor blades are the right way up on this Black Hawk!
Year bought: 1998 (A model shop in Guildford)
Year built: 2000 (Send Marsh, Surrey, UK)