with Cobra Company resin cockpit and exhaust
US Marine Corps, HMLA-169 ‘Vipers’, Persian Gulf 1987
Another helicopter to which I have added Cobra Company resin is this Italeri AH-1W Supercobra. The basic kit is good, but has an inaccurate exhaust area more representative, I believe, of the prototype. The resin upgrade set is basically a completely new cockpit, which is brilliant, and a replacement rear upper fuselage section to correct the kit’s inaccuracy. One other major inaccuracy of the kit is that the rotors are supplied upside-down, which I didn’t discover until I’d finished the model (of course!). I used Humbrol enamels for the finish followed by Johnson’s Klear, an oil wash, and Humbrol Matt Cote. This was fast becoming my standard finishing sequence. The kit decals are typical Italeri; they have a milky white residue and can silver a bit. The Hellfire missiles and rocket pods came in the kit.
Year bought: 1997 (Beatties, Guildford)
Year built: 1998 (Send Marsh, Surrey, UK)